Call for submissions: QUEER ART(ISTS) NOW is back!
Access to submitting…
If you have access needs and would like to submit in a different format or chat through any of the form and/or process please email Andrew Ellerby at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Queer Art(ists) Now…
is a sporadic (thanks pandemic) open call platform/exhibition for contemporary, UK based, Queer artists and makers.
2022 will be the fourth edition of the country's biggest Queer 'Open' Arts Extravaganza, and it is brought to you by Queer Art(ists) Now, Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest and the gorgeous gallery, Space Station Sixty-Five in Kennington, London.
The exhibition provides a snap-shot of what Queer artists are making right now; an insight into the thoughts, preoccupations, aesthetics, and politics of current Queer art. It is a kaleidoscope of your artistry and a window into what the fuckery is going on - and babes... a lot has been going on! Right?
We are interested in the work YOU are making, the content and style of the exhibition is influenced by what you submit. So, whilst you are Queer, the work does not necessarily have to represent this, but equally can. Make it political, make it social, make it beautiful, make it how you make it.
"better than Frieze" — unidentified gallery owner, 2017
To submit go here:
We fully reserve the right to not consider any work that insights hate and/or prejudice. Obv.
Money, money, money...
There is no entrance fee to submit your application (unlike other open calls), but artists are asked to cover delivery/return of their work and any costs associated with highly specific presentation/installation. If this is a barrier to you applying, please let us know to discuss further.
We will also - subject to additional funding - be offering a small number of travel bursaries for artists so they can attend and be present at the exhibition, there will be a point later in the application process to express your interest in this.
During the exhibition all work will be offered for sale. The cost of purchase is decided by the artist (you!). Currently there is no commission for sales, this is subject to change in agreement with the gallery.
We will select work via a panel process. A number of artists from the 2017, 2018, and 2020 exhibitions will be invited back along with a selection of other special arty Queers to make-up the panel of selectors. This means the exhibition will be curated by your peers. This is OUR community after all.
We will also - again, subject to funding allowing - invite a selection of past artists back with a small bursary to present specially created work for the exhibition. Every iteration includes the element so once you are in the fam, you are in!
The exhibition will be presented at Space Station Sixty-Five, 373 Kennington Road, London SE11 4PT between the dates 16th-25th September 2022 (end date may be subject to change).
Criteria for submitting...
Queer Art(ists) Now will consider work in the following mediums:
painting, drawing, illustration, craft, ceramics, graphic design, photography, sculpture, video art, animation, sound, and/or gallery performance art (and more, try us?!)
• Applicants can make between 1-5 submission for consideration.
• The panel will select between 0-5 pieces from each artist to show.
• There is no expectation as to the content of the work.
• Applicants must be based in the UK.
• Each submission must include a short description of no more than 50 words.
• Work should ideally be made within the last 24 months.
• Applications will only be accepted with a fully completed application form (inc images/links), no exceptions!
• The artist is responsible for delivery and return costs of work.
• The artist is responsible for and any specific (out of the ordinary) installation costs (please discuss with us).
• Applications open Tuesday 28th June 2022 at 10:00.
• Applications close Tuesday 09th August at 13:00.
• Decisions communicated by Friday 19th August @ 17:00.
• Artist confirmations/acceptance of offers to show expected to be returned by 26th August @ 17:00.
• Work to be delivered between Wednesday 07th and Saturday 10th September 2022.
• Exhibition: Friday 16th - Sunday 25th September (launch date TBC).
• Work to be collected between Sunday 25th (after closing) and Tuesday 27th September 2022.
Before applying please ensure you will be able to facilitate the delivery and collection of your work in the above windows provided. Please note the end date of the exhibition may be subject to change.
To submit go here: